Monday, August 19, 2013

Transitioning from walking to using a wheelchair full-time

A few months ago we introduced an All-New My Becker's Story "Question of the Week". We asked you; "What advice would you give to someone who is currently transitioning from walking to using a wheelchair full-time?" 

Many people shared a few of their tips for handling this transition, here is a look at a few of the answers we received which we hope will help those currently transitioning from walking to using a wheelchair.
 
Gord - I'm about 90% of chair use currently. There is no magic moment and like everything with BMD it is gradual. My transition has taken over 10 years. Longer if you consider I used a cane for years also. Start your transition with the use of a scooter or manual chair for those longer excursions like the mall or zoo etc. As your condition gets worse transition more to the chair and eventually a power chair before your body is damaged by joint pain and damage from falls. With just one bad fall the decision will be made for you! Don't give up your freedom due to embarrassment or stubbornness.

Jonathan - The biggest benefit I have found since using a wheelchair is that it is not as uncomfortable. When I still walked I used crutches and that caused a lot of pain. Your also going to avoid any nasty falls that might cause injury.

Ron - I use a power wheelchair 100% of the time now, this happened about 5 years ago. I kept walking for as long as possible using 2 canes, then started falling quite a bit. I started with hand chair and power chair occasionally, I moved to power chair because of the risk of injury from falling. I have found life is easier in lots of ways as I can now get around much better. You want to make sure you get hold of a ROHO wheelchair seat cushion, they are superb and will prevent pressure sores from developing. The transition to chair is nothing to be afraid of - in lots of ways it makes life easier. It is just another adjustment we have to accept. 

I really want to take the time to thank everyone who was able to take the time to answer the My Becker's Story "Question the Week". Thank you for taking part and joining together to help make a difference in the lives of others affected by Muscular Dystrophy and other conditions. Thank you.

If you would like to make a few suggestions as well please join us on Facebook or feel free to post in the comments section found below.


Related Posts:


 http://my-beckers-story.blogspot.com/p/contact-me.html
Join the My Becker's Story blog on social media

No comments:

Post a Comment