Saturday, September 11, 2010

Growing up Iife was pretty good

Visit the ALL-NEW My Becker's Story blog at
Features All-New & Updated blog posts!

When it comes to life and living with a disability some time's things can get a little tough, and for some the issue’s they faces can be hard to ignore. When it comes down to it most of us are just like anyone else and we don’t want to let our problems get in they way of us living a somewhat normal life. Sure we can face some major obstacles in life but we don’t let this limit our ability to have fun. For me growing up life was pretty good, and sure I faced some difficulties keeping up and doing the things other kids were doing, but to me I grew up like any other child my age. You see I was able to hang out with my friend’s and do the things most kid’s do. I would hang out at the mall, go to summer camp, and even riding my bike around my old neighbourhood. I was even  able to go to the local amusement park with friends, as you see I was able to do a lot of fun things growing up, and I am sure some people didn’t even know I had Becker's Muscular Dystrophy. And I admit at times I would have to push my self just to keep up, but it was worth it. As you can see I was still able to have a pretty good time, I just knew that I would have to take it easy over the next 2-3 days to fully recover from it. When it comes down to it, growing up things were pretty good, and when I was a child I was fully capable of doing the same things everyone else my age was doing, and sure I had my limitations but I found ways to make it work.

I would have to say at times in my life I have been able to do some pretty amazing things, things most people might not have the courage to do. It’s crazy to think about it but when I was in high school, I really hated having to speak in front of the class, so it might surprise you that I use to perform in a hip-hop group that went by the name of the Urban Prophets. And yes most time’s I was very nervous, but once I got on stage everything was ok. I just made sure our performances were short, so that I wouldn’t face any major issues related to Becker's Muscular Dystrophy. In 2001 I actually was able to recorded a song entitled "After all I’ve been thru" with a few of my friends.
Performing at Gospel Fest
As you can see growing up I refused to allow my condition to hold me back, and sure there were times when it did but even if there were things I couldn’t do, I just accepted them, stayed positive and went on with life. For me my focus over the years has always been to look at the positive and not just the negative things in life. We all know some say "Life is what you make it", and for me I just want to enjoy life while I can, and sure there are things in life I haven’t been able to do yet, but I still have plenty time to accomplish those things. As you can see I don’t intend to allow the Becker`s Muscular Dystrophy to stop me from doing the things I want to do in life. And I know I will face a few obstacles related to the condition but all I can do is live with-in my limits and try and enjoy life. That's what I encourage everyone to do.