Sunday, August 8, 2010

2010 Walk for Muscular Dystrophy

This was my first year joining the Walk for Muscular Dystrophy, and it was a great experience. I originally found out about the walk when I came across a Facebook group named the Ontario Walk for Muscular Dystrophy, there I found out that there was a walk taking place in my area.

At first to be honest I was a little hesitant to participate, thinking if it turns out to be a long distance walk then it would be too demanding for me, so at first I just put the idea of joining the walk out of my mind. Eventually though the local newspaper ran a story about another person living with Muscular Dystrophy who was joining in the Walk. Now, before this I never mentioned the walk to any of my friends or family members, but eventually my sister found out about the walk after reading the newspaper article, she called me and convinced me it would be a good idea to go. She also mentioned that I wouldn't have to do the full 5 kilometres but I would also have the option of just walking 1km. When it comes down to it I guess it's not really about how far you can walk, it's more about being there in support of those living with Muscular Dystrophy whatever form it may be and to let their friends and families know were in this together, to raise awareness about a disorder a lot of people might not know that much about.

When it comes down to it I really wish I took the walk more seriously when I first found out about it, that way me and my family and friends could have done more in the fund raising department, but with getting involved only 4 days before the walk we still did our best and together we were able to raise just over $200. And when it came to the walk my mom and my brother joined along with my sister in supporting me and Muscular Dystrophy Canada by participating in the walk. It was really great to have the support of my family, and we plan on being there next year and for many years to come. It will be great to get an earlier start on the fund raising for next year and I know with more time, the amount of funds we can raise will come in way over $200.

All and all I would have to say that it was great to meet a few other people at the walk. And lastly my personal goal is to help raise awareness through the Walk for Muscular Dystrophy every year and gain support from more and more sponsors till we raise enough money
to find a cure.


Related posts:



1 comment:

  1. Good on you. I'm so glad to see this happening in Ontario. It will be wonderful to find a cure some day soon. My son has Beckers MD and I'm starting a blog to raise awareness if you'd like to visit. Greetings from Australia!

    ReplyDelete